Switch plate upcycle

I have seen many switch plate upcycles over the years, but most do not show as many details as I would like, so I decided to post my own that I recently did.

We are doing quite a bit of updating and redoing right now, so I have been terribly busy without much time for blogging.  Our beloved grandblessings came to live with us a couple of years ago, and it was pretty sudden, so we bought some used furniture that was in decent shape to get started with.  It has all held up pretty well- except for one dresser- but when we finalized adoption in the summer, we knew it was time to get busy on making their rooms more livable, new, and fun.  So, painting has begun, and flooring is going in. Furniture has been ordered.

I am a person that likes to see personalized detail when I do a project like this, so when I looked at the switch and outlet covers, I knew something had to be done.

Have you priced the fancy ones lately?  A bit out of my price range.  Plus, it’s more fun to do your own. And the process began.

We painted the walls in the princess’s room a beautiful pink, and I thought some black, white and gray would be perfect colors to go along with it.  I knew I wanted the covers to be black and white, so I started looking around to find some tissue paper that I liked to make it happen.

A friend of mine actually bought the paper and brought it to me when I was sick- score!- so I sat on the couch and got started.

This was what I started with, not very pretty and not white.  I decided to hit them with a spray of white paint to see if it would make a better surface to work with.  This part was NOT done on the couch, lol.

Much better!  I didn’t want to spend a lot of time scrubbing them, so I painted to see if it would cover up the ugliness, and it worked great!  These are pretty enough to hang just like they are, but not pretty enough for the princess, so I moved forward.

Here is the tissue paper, bought at Hobby Lobby for $1.99 with a 40% coupon, so it was $1.20 total.

I used a sponge brush- mine was too big to fit in bottle, so I just poured it onto the brush, and put a nice coat of mod podge on the cover.  Make sure and get inside the holes and around the edges.  Not too thick or thin.

I cut a piece of tissue paper a bit larger than the cover so I could fold it over.  Yes, this is a different cover than I began this blog with, I forgot to take pics of the middle stages.  Same process, of course.

I lay the cover front side down on the paper.

Then I began folding it over, tops then sides.  I used my finger to press as many wrinkles as I could out of the surface, be careful though, tears easily.

I used a utility knife and made an x in the center of the holes, and a pencil for the nail holes.

I folded the middle parts in, making sure to press it to the surface.

Then I turned it over and let it dry.  I would wait at least an hour here, but I let mine sit overnight.  You certainly don’t have to wait that long.

I forgot to take a pic of the next step, but I turned it over and added mod podge to the back edges only and pressed the paper to it.  Once it was completely dry, I cut all the excess paper off- very important!!

This is what it looked like afterward.  I then added a coat of mod podge on top of the front paper, let dry and turned over and did the same to the back edges.  You need to completely seal it to the cover, you don’t want a fire hazard.  This step actually helps get out some of the wrinkles that are left, and leaves a much smoother surface. 🙂

Once you are done, this is what you have.

And this is what it looks like on the wall.

How cute is that??

(The pink wall is much prettier than this pic shows.)

I need to replace the switch as well, but haven’t done that step yet.

In the past I have tried using scrapbook paper to cover these, but the thickness of it was hard to work with. I found the tissue paper to work very well. I have heard of people using fabric also. The most important step is to remove extra paper and seal it completely before installing.

I will be blogging on the rooms as we finish them, with lots of pics.

Not bad for a few cents per cover.  🙂

2 thoughts on “Switch plate upcycle

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s